Search This Blog

Thursday, November 7, 2013

The Stranger

Just when I thought chivalry was dead, a younger man held the door for me at a restaurant today.  He really took me by surprise and I need to learn not to judge by appearances.  He was clad in a leather Harley jacket, complete with a bandana, sunglasses and stubble.  I guessed him to be in his early thirties.  He was just shy of 6 feet in height.  He had dark hair.  I am left to wonder what color his eyes were since he was wearing sunglasses.  He was in front of me and I remember thinking as he opened the door, that he'd only hold it for himself.  Not only did he hold it open, but he held it for my daughter and I to walk through.  She was lagging behind, but he held that door open for her.  I smiled back at him and thanked him.  He seemed the quiet type and replied unsmiling with a "Yep."  As I got on the road again, I kept thinking about that courteous stranger in the leather jacket.  I wondered what his story was.  I wondered where he came from and who taught him his manners.  He really intrigued me and I'm thinking he could be an inspiration for a potential character.  Isn't it funny where inspiration can strike?

What I love about driving in the country on a nice day is being allowed time to think.  I thought about a scene that I need to change in my work in progress.  It doesn't work the way I have it right now, so I have to ax a scene and revise another one!  The discarded scene will go in my delete scenes file, since I don't like to completely delete anything.  Hopefully, I can stay awake long enough tonight after the kids go to bed to work on it without falling asleep in front of the computer!  If I didn't need sleep, I'd have more time to read and write!

Veronica



1 comment: