Search This Blog

Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Bandana Winnebago






My ancestors originated from Germany and entered the United States through Pennsylvania in 1849/1850.  They stayed in Pennsylvania for a few years before they traveled to the Midwest and settled in Winneshiek County near Fort Atkinson, IA in 1854.  The historical fort had once been a U.S. Army frontier post from 1840-1849 to keep the peace between the Winnebago (now known as the Ho-Chuck) and various feuding Native American tribes.  My great-great-grandfather established the family farm in May of 1854, now a century farm, which has been handed down through several generations.

My father loved history and I learned the art of storytelling from him.  Most of the information I have of our ancestors came from my dad.  He enjoyed telling us about the good old days of farming and stories about the ancestors.  One story stands out the most in my mind...


My father’s great-uncle, Ben, used to tell him about groups of Native Americans, the Winnebago, who traveled through the area on the way to their camp near the St. Anthony of Padua Chapel, also known as the World’s Smallest Church.  The chapel is located beside the Turkey River, which would have made it an ideal location to camp.  Ben was born in 1874, so it must have been shortly before the turn of the century when the Winnebago migrated to the river during the warmer seasons.  There was one Winnebago man who stood out among the others because he always wore a bandana over his face.  One day, curiosity got the best of my ancestor, and he finally asked why the man always wore the bandana.  The man replied, “Brother-in-law shot off nose.”  Then he vowed he would return the favor, “Someday, I shoot off brother-in-law’s nose!” 

This was one of my favorite stories that my dad used to tell me.  I often wonder what happened between the two men to cause such a bloody outcome.  Most importantly, did the Bandana Winnebago ever get his revenge?  I guess we’ll never know!

No comments:

Post a Comment