Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

The Tragedy of Darth Vader/Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Parallel

One aspect in life I find by being a Lit. person is finding the similarities between real life and the arts. I think many of you remember literature class in high school, where you would look for the author's inspiration or compare a character to a real person.  Due to recent events, I found myself comparing Dzhokhar Tsarnaev life to Darth Vader's. Has anyone else noticed the parallels?  I think the idea started when I thought of this wavy-haired boy being a killer.  I kept thinking, "He's just a baby!"  And I began to think about another young man in a tale that took place a long, long time ago. 

Look at the two: 
  • Vader (then known as Anakin Skywalker) was born into slavery, then freed and brought to a new world when he was about 9 years-old.  Hmmm . . . Jahar's (as I'll refer to him as it's easier to spell) family left their homeland due to persecution and came to America when he was 9 years-old.
  • Anakin became a Jedi apprentice;  Protector to the Republic.  Jahar was a lifeguard and I thought I heard that he was thinking about pursuing medicine.
  • Anakin's mentor and friend, Palpatine, influences him to go down a darker path.  Jahar's brother plots against the U.S. due to wars in the Middle East.  He influences his brother.
  • Vader leads the attack on the Jedi temple.  He kills Jedi younglings (children.)  Jahar helps his brother place bombs at the Boston Marathon.  His bomb was responsible for killing a child and injuring many other people.   
  • Both betray the democracy that offered them a better way of life.
  • Both end up seriously injured shortly after the attacks.  Both are taken away on a medical gurney and require oxygen.  Vader is burned after a duel with his former Jedi master.  He's left scarred and requires a life-preserving suit.  Jahar has multiple injuries due to engaging with law enforcement.  What is interesting is Jahar has an injury to his throat and is unable to speak at this time.  Who knows if he permanently damaged his vocal cords.  I wonder if he still requires oxygen?  I don't think his respirator would be quite as pronounced as Vader's, but the similarities are almost eerie.   
Here the parallel ends.  Vader redeemed himself by helping to destroy the Empire that he helped create.  I don't know if there's any way that Jahar could ever redeem himself.  Unlike the 9/11 terrorists, Jahar is able to see the results of his actions.  And will be held accountable for them.

George Lucas, the creator of Star Wars, when discussing his character of Darth Vader claimed that no one who is evil thinks of themselves as evil.  They think they are doing the right thing.  He must have done his research.  I think he must have studied the Nazi's judging from the scripts that he wrote.  I think it very well applies to the Jihad extremists/terrorists.

Even though Star Wars is science fiction, it really has to do with the human spirit.  Under all that CGI and alien worlds, it's really about ourselves.  I'll leave you with a quote from Yoda but it's really George Lucas' words,
"Fear leads to anger.  Anger leads to hate.  Hate leads to suffering."
How very true it is.

Veronica

Edited to add:  Discussing Vader and his breathing reminded me of the teaser trailer for Ep. 3.  That breathing (:47) still gives me goose bumps!  Star Wars Ep. 3 Teaser

No comments:

Post a Comment