Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2016

The Island of Broken Dreams

Disney Dreams was the name of the collection of paintings that Thomas Kinkade created based off of the Disney movies.  It's quite an impressive array of his talent.  You get the feeling of happily ever after.  Isn't that what's expected from a Disney movie?  You expect the couple to get their happily ever after.  For me, Disney has always given me a feeling of expectancy.  I always know the prince or the knight will always rescue the damsel, and they will ride off together into the sunset.  Those are our girlhood dreams, right?  But, what if the hero didn't make it?  What if the princess had to find a way to go on without him?  That's quite a way to shatter girlhood dreams, wouldn't you say? 



When I find myself feeling this way, I imagine myself climbing the ancient steps of a mountainous island.  It's a lengthy climb.  I can hear the waves crash against the rocks below.  I can feel the wind in my face.  I see the daylight reflecting off of the water.  I can hear the birds calling to each other.  When I reach the summit of the mountain, I see a lone, cloaked figure looking out across the ocean.  He slowly turns at my approach.  He pulls back the hood of his cloak revealing his white, wavy hair, with an equally white beard.  He looks at me with a look of torment.  Without breaking eye contact, I reach into my bag and pull out...a silver pen.  With a pleading countenance, I hold it out to him as his inner turmoil persists.

Who is the man and what's the significance of the pen? 

Veronica     

No comments:

Post a Comment