Search This Blog

Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Wolverine

What a busy summer it has been!  At least I can say we've had plenty of family time in the past month with short trips and family gatherings.  Now that school is starting, I hope I will have more time to read and write.

One place I haven't been to very much this summer is the movies.  I took the kids to a couple of family movies, but I hadn't been out to one by myself until this weekend when I saw The Wolverine.  From what I saw from the previews, it didn't look like it would interest me, except for Logan's nightmares about Jean.  Since Wolverine is my favorite character from X-Men, I wanted to see this movie.  It was in fact, the only movie I really wanted to see this summer that wasn't in the family genre.  I am happy to say that it exceeded my expectations.  The first scene of the movie starts off with Logan witnessing the atomic bombing of Nagasaki.  It was a horrible part of history, but it was amazing how they recreated it.  That was the hook for me.  Knowing that Logan had a past in Japan snagged my interest and I was ready to journey back there with him.  In addition, he had to resolve his inner conflict with destroying the woman that he loved.  Ah, the tormented hero!

One of my college roommate's biggest complaint about me was how I analyzed movies.  I now believe it was because I was thinking like a writer.  I am now going to analyze this movie (sorry, my old roomie!)  In the last movie, which was the Wolverine prequel, Logan lost all his memories.  Since he dreamed about Nagasaki, apparently his memory of it returned.   I didn't understand how he could remember Yashida but not his first love, Kayla.  Did it mean that his memories were gradually returning through dreams since the subconscious never forgets, or that the writers made a HUGE error?  I am thinking that it's the former since he dreamt about Japan in the beginning.  Regardless, it really caused the gears in my head to turn. 

People might think that I got some ideas for my novel from this Wolverine movie, but I will say here and now that it was already written (my manuscript is currently over 62,500 words) when I watched the movie.  I may get a little inspiration from Logan's dreams, but that's it!

I see that X-Men's next movie Days of Future Past is in post-production and that Anna Paquin returns to play Rogue.  I've always secretly hoped that when she came of age that she and Logan would get together!  It's probably wishful thinking, but hey, he's immortal!  He's been robbing the cradle through the whole series!  Why stop now?

Have a safe and happy holiday weekend!

Veronica

1 comment:

  1. I think Logan is trying to remember Kayla, because his dreams about Jean are very much like what his life was with Kayla. He wakes from a nightmare and Jean asks where he was. Kayla asked if it was the wars. Which one? It's as though his subconscious is trying to get him to remember. In the process, he's confusing Jean with Kayla in that intimate bedroom setting.

    ReplyDelete