Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

From the Empire Dress to Cravats


Fashion is another factor for accuracy.  Because of the empire or high-waist dresses, corsets/stays weren't used as often, and because of the smaller, tubular skirt, women did not need heavy undergarments, petticoats or hoops.  However, the waistlines were beginning to fall, which would eventually bring back the corsets.  I think I like the Regency/Empire fashions for women because they look very comfortable compared to other periods.  With an adventurous heroine, it's quite convenient.
In my opinion, men's fashions started to become more masculine.  Shirts no longer had lacy trim.  Knee breeches came down to the knee and the calf would be covered by stockings.  Shoes with a buckle were worn to complete the look.  I'm not crazy about this look, though it was formal wear, I prefer the men to wear knee-high boots instead that were named after military heroes, such as Hessians or Wellingtons.  For a casual/informal wear, pantaloons were worn that became longer until they finally reached the ankle.  I do have a character who tends to defy fashion and creates his own trends. 
What I find kind of fun is to watch period films and check out the costume design.  Those designers really have to do their research!

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment