Search This Blog

Thursday, June 28, 2012

Ebooks vs. Paperbacks

To be honest, as a reader, I haven't tried reading an ebook yet.  My eyes get tired enough from writing my manuscript, I couldn't imagine reading several chapters of a book at one sitting. I feel like I don't need anymore screen time. I really don't want to worry if the battery is charged for my device when I can pick up a paperback and read it.  I have to borrow the quote from Rupert Giles (BtVS) when asked what he had against computers (this was before the advent of eReaders):  "They don't have a smell."  I think whether a book is old or new, it has a scent.  From my experience from working in a library, a new book smells of fresh ink, where an old book smells of aged paper and years of reading.  A dog-earred book tells of a tale that someone has enjoyed reading numerous times.  Spine wear, edge wear and creases give a book personality.  As a reader, this is just my personal choice.  Although, I certainly won't pass up an opportunity to read a sneak peek of an upcoming novel from my favorite author's web sites!

As a writer, I really don't have a preference and would be happy to see my work published in whatever form a reader desires.  My work came to life on a computer screen and I wouldn't pass up an opportunity just because of my personal preference.

Happy Reading!

Veronica

No comments:

Post a Comment