Search This Blog

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Top 5 Deathbed Regrets of Writers

I received an email last week from AWAI (American Writers & Artists, Inc.) titled, "The Top 5 Deathbed Regrets of Writers."  It was pretty much a ploy to sell memberships, so I won't include the link, but I liked some of the thoughts the writers had.  Here are the top 5 regrets: 
“I’d never know if I could have made it.”
“I’d never find my voice.”
“I’d never get to show others what I’m capable of.”
“I’d hate not having the freedom to do what I want.”
And the top answer of all, was:
“I couldn’t live a life true to myself.”

They then proceeded with building the sale:

"Start by asking yourself five important questions. Right now, ask yourself …
Will I regret never knowing if I could have made it?
Could my words make a difference to someone?
Don’t I want others to know the real me?
Shouldn’t I take charge of my life now instead of waiting till it’s too late?
Don’t I deserve to be happy?"

I put the most significant for me in bold.  Some of you are probably asking why a closet writer would ask herself those questions, and my answer is I don't plan to stay in the closet forever.  I do want others to know the "real me."  I just want to have my first novel completed and in print when they find out.  Here's the hard copy; please do not tell me I'm chasing a dream.  I do want my words to make a difference to someone, as others have made a difference to me.

Veronica

1 comment: